Sony VFET Kit Status Page
This is an informational status page for kits for Nelson Pass's "Sony VFET" amplifier that will be updated regularly. Please check back periodically. For more information please read the Sony VFET thread.
- 12th January - Updated shipping times for Essential Kits batch 2 and Supplemental Kits batch 1
- 17th January - Updated shipping times for Essential Kits batch 2 and Supplemental Kits batch 1
- 9th Feb - Updated batch 3 release date to 10th February. Email offers to purchase will start sending on 10th February, and then on subsequent days in batches to ensure people can get them in a "first come first served" manner. We do not expect batch 3 to sell out before they become available to the public. Added pricing information.
- 28 Mar - No changes, but we have an update: Batch 3 of VFET essentials kits still on track for late May shipping, however, they will possibly be ready a few weeks early.
If you would like to purchase a kit
- Follow this link: Sony VFET Kit Interest Group Subscription Page
- Enter your details and press "Subscribe to List". You may additionally be asked to prove you are not a robot.
- Mailchimp sends you a "confirmation" email to confirm your email address is valid
- Check your email system, and see an email with the subject line "Sony VFET Kit Interest Group: Please Confirm Subscription". Click on the link that is in that confirmation email that says "Yes, subscribe me to this list". If you don't see an email, check your spam folder and that your mail filters aren't filtering incoming mail somewhere you can't see it. Usually the mail will arrive within 30 seconds, but sometimes it might take up to 24 hours if the internet's tubes are tied.
- You will be taken to a page saying "Your subscription to our list has been confirmed."
- Note: Invitations to purchase are always sent "first in best dressed" (people who signed up earlier will receive an invitation earlier, people who signed up later will receive an invitation later)
- If you have any order related questions (eg: special order requests, order status) please contact customer support at email@example.com. Please do not send messages in any other way (eg: forum PM, posting in a forum thread, or emailing Jason / Mark / Etc directly).
- If you have any technical questions (eg: how parts work, electronics theory related, etc) please post them on the Sony VFET thread.
Current Status of Kit Releases
Sony VFET "Essentials" kit
This kit contains 2 pairs of matched VFETs, mounting hardware, 2 PCBs, 2 special brackets from Hifi2000 ready to mount onto a UMS compatible chassis/heatsink.
What is in the kit?
- 2 pairs of original Sony VFETS hand matched by Nelson Pass
- 2 custom made, black anodized UMS compatible brackets especially fabricated for this project (can also potentially be used for other TO3 projects)
- 2 VFET PCBs designed and laid out by Nelson Pass, that can be directly mounted to the above brackets
- All the stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers, fender washers and lock washers to mount 2 pairs of metal cased VFETs and 2 pairs of plastic cased MOSFETs (not included) to the bracket, and to attach the brackets to a UMS chassis or your own chassis
- Mica insulators for the MOSFETS and mica insulators and tubular insulators for the VFETs
- 28g. syringe of thermal grease
Batch 1 - SOLD OUT
- All kits have been shipped
Batch 2 - SOLD OUT
- All kits have been shipped
Batch 3 - Available for pre-order February 6th
- 140 kits will be available for around February 10th 2017, offered in the usual fashion (email offers sent to those on the list in order of signup, and then the remainder listed for the public). They won't be ready to ship until late May.
- Email offers to purchase will start sending on 10th February, and then on subsequent days in batches to ensure people can get them in a "first come first served" manner. We do not expect batch 3 to sell out before they become available to the public.
- There will be a maximum of a total of 2 kits per diyAudio member, including from previous batches. This is to ensure as many diyAudio members as possible can have the chance to build this kit. If you already have 1 from previous batches, you can order 1 more. If you already have 2 from previous batches, you cannot order from batch 3.
- The price will be the same as before: $208 plus postage for the full kit
Sony VFET "Supplemental" kit
This kit contains a number of additional parts needed to complete the amplifier.
- 72x Vishay-Dale 1% Metal Film Resistors
- 16x Elna Silmic 2 Capacitors
- 8x Bourns Trimmer Potentiometers
- 8x Texas Instruments TL431ACLPR Voltage Ref.
- 4x Fairchild 1N4004 Diodes
- 4x Aavid PCB Heatsinks
- 4x Heatsink Hardware
- 4x Heatsink Mica Insulators
- 4x Cree Blue LEDs
- 2x Lumix Panel LED holders
- 2x Linear Integrated Systems LSJ 74B JFETs
- 2x Linear Integrated Systems LSK170B JFETs
- 2x Above JFETS hand matched
- 2x Zetex ZTX450 transistors
- 2x Zetex ZTX550 transistors
- 2x Vishay IRFP240 MOSFETs
- 2x Vishay IRFP9240 MOSFETs
- 2x Fairchild FQP3N30 MOSFETs
- 2x Fairchild FQP3P20 MOSFETs
Batch 1 - SOLD OUT
- All orders have shipped
Batch 2 - Available for pre-order February 10th
- A number of additional supplemental kits will be available for sale when we start selling batch 3 of "essential" kits
- The price will be the same as before: $155 plus postage