Deluxe 5U Aluminum
The Deluxe Chassis is the ultimate DIY Amplifier playground. We don't know of another chassis for sale in the world that makes life as easy for DIY Audio enthusiasts. Packed with features so you can focus on having a good time building your amp instead of getting roadblocked by the hardest parts of custom machining.
Introducing the 5U "Big A** Chassis"... (That's Amp!)
- 4 x aluminum heatsinks 40mm thick, 200mm deep and anodized in black with 26 pre-drilled, pre-tapped blind M3 threads per side (a total of 52) as specified in our universal mounting specification
- Threads are tapped to a minimum depth of 5mm
- 1 x aluminum faceplate 10mm thick, 450mm wide with rounded corners and anodized in silver
- 9 blind M3 pre-tapped mounting holes suitable for mounting all kinds of things to the faceplate - diodes, PCBs, riser panels, potentiometers, etc
- Mount single or dual PSU boards directly to the back of the front panel
- Designed so risers can be bolted to the chassis using two axis to create stable interior platforms within the chassis and maximize all the interior space
- Use with risers and easily mount front panel components such as pots and dials to the risers with extension rods going through the front panel, saving the need for complicated or messy hacking in order to attach things to the front panel
- The 9th hole is perfectly centered in the chassis and approximately 1/3 of the way down from the top (or bottom - you can spin the front 180') and can be used either as a mounting hole or as LED pilot hole
- 1 x aluminum back panel 3mm thick and CNC routed to our back panel specification, ready to accept your choice of PEM, RCAs and premium binding posts or drop our back panel parts kit (not included) straight in
- It has Neutrik XLR compatible holes on the back to accept XLR, XLR/1/4" combo or RCA-in-XLR-format connector so you can easily connect XLR, 1/4" or RCA cables to your amplifier
- Please see the 5U Back Panel Specification for more details
- 2 x aluminum top/bottom covers, maximally vented with 6 rows of venting strips, to provide an ideal balance between airflow and stiffness
- 1 x galvanized steel perforated inner baseplate 400mm deep and 1.5mm thick which is pre-drilled with a pattern of holes allowing for easy mounting as well as less flex
- All holes in the base are in a DIY friendly 10mm x 10mm hole pattern. This makes it easy to design the mounting for anything you might want to attach, as well as ensuring if you rotate it 90 degrees, it will also mount perfectly.
- Holes are aligned so there is a column of holes directly in the center to make it easy to drill out a hole for perfectly centered transformer mounting
- All diyAudio PCBs going forward will come with mounting holes spaced apart in multiples of 10mm to allow for easy mounting in any orientation
- Riser panels can be combined with the 10mm x 10mm pattern to create unlimited horizontal and vertical mounting configurations
Riser Panel Compatible
- We've created riser panels that can be bolted to the base, front panel or each other to create unlimited possibilities for the maximisation of the internal space within the chassis.
- Want to stick burning amp output boards, bias boards, gain stage, dual psus, dual transformers, soft start and speaker protector all in a 4U chassis? Walls and shelves now simply screw together in any configuration to dramatically increase your ability to optimize the internal space.
- F-1, F-2, F-3, F-4, F-5, F-5 Turbo, F-6
- Aleph J
- Burning Amp Complementary or Single Ended
- diyAB "Honey Badger" Class AB Amplifier (with dual power supplies)
When I bought my first Deluxe 5U chassis I was surprised at how big it was. It makes the Deluxe 4U chassis look like mini-me in comparison. However, it turned out to be the perfect size for a big class AB stereo amp or a First Watt style class A stereo amp with the bias cranked up. It has enough space to lay out a fully dual mono power supply with separate transformers. The heat sinks barely get warm when housing a typical 200 watt class AB amp.
I recently bought a second chassis to make Aleph 2 mono block amps. The heat sinks are able to handle the dissipation, but they do they get very hot. I guess the chassis is not too big after all. The entire chassis gets hot. I imagine my two cats will love them come winter. This latest version of the Deluxe 5U chassis now has machined screws to hold on the top plate, which is better than the first version I bought a couple of years back, because the rail holes wont strip if accidentally over-tightened. The only negatives were that the proper size screws to hold the feet on the bottom plate / rail were not included, and if you buy handles, you have to widen a bit of two of the pilot holes, because the screw heads that ship with the handles are just a little too wide to fit into two of the four pilot holes that are machined into the face plate.
All in all a very nice chassis.
This is the best amp chassis for a newbie DIYer, and it is also excellent for an experienced one since it offers a lot of possibilities for extension. So, I think, this is the best chassis one can buy. You need to build the whole chassis ground up to get any better performance. No, I am not compensated by the Seller in any way! I just appreciate the many ways these experienced audio enthusiasts have made it easier for a new person to pursue this hobby - the more I work with it the more I appreciate their foresight.
I did look around for alternatives, otherwise I cannot claim myself to be an audiophile, right :) This chassis won hands down. BTW, the serrated heat sinks are a very good thing to have, especially if you are trying to build a space heater otherwise known as a class A amp...
Great case and the right size for my project. Only negative is the really poor assembly instructions. For just a little bit of effort the OEM could include a sheet of instructions on how to assemble. The included sheet is pretty useless. Some hardware appears too short for its intended purpose. Well packed and sturdy.
The chassis are big! They can dissipate a lot of heat. I did have a problem with my order. Three of the four heat sink sections had the same hole pattern when two should be mirror images of the other two. However, i sent an email on a Saturday on Sunday I had a new heat sink pair on the way. Excellent customer service and a quality product.
Great build quality and very fast shipping.
Chassis is very sturdy and solid once all sides are bolted together.
Building F5 Turbo ver 2 mono blocks and this chassis is ideal for this or any other solid state amp project.
Only wish that the back panel was available blank during purchasing as an option to allow for own customisation and that UMS heatsinks allowed for mounting of PSU diode PCB.
Great service from the DIY Audio Store team.
Parts well packed arrived in perfect condition and fairly quickly.
Fit, finish and overall quality of chassis very good.
Have 8 M4 x 7mm hex drive screws and 4 M4 bolts left after assembly and don't know if I missed something, or if they are for some optional parts I don't have. Chassis has been assembled with a Universal PS v3/400VA transformer installed and is quite solid.
Must say I was disappointed in the optional anti-vibration feet I got. There is a rubber pad surrounding the mounting stud, but the stud is solidly mounted to the rigid plastic base which offers no damping on the vertical plane between the chassis and the surface on which it would be placed.
Chassis - 5 stars, anti-vibration feet - 0 stars = 4 stars overall.
Amp case arrived perfect and worked great
We Also Recommend
* For non-contiguous US states a surcharge may be applied.