Korg Nutube B1 Full Kit
Korg Nutube B1 (also known as B1K) pre-order is now open!
Following great feedback about our "pioneer" batch of kits and chassis, we are now finally opening pre-orders for the production run of Korg Nutube B1 full kits.
A detailed build guide from 6L6 will be ready before shipping. A pre-order-only silver faceplate option will be available for purchase only while the pre-order is open. The build guide is now available at B1K Build Guide.
Korg Nutube B1 Pre-Order Key Dates
- Pre-orders open April 20th 2020
- Pre-orders close April 27th 2020, or earlier if we reach our production limit
- Shipping will occur once production is complete (current estimate is sometime late Q3, 2020, see the B1K pre-order status page for details)
For answers to the following questions and more please see the B1K Pre-Order Status Page:
- General information about diyAudio Store pre-orders
- Opening, closing and shipping dates
- Cancellations and refunds
- What happens if you miss out
- Can I change my shipping address?
- Risks and challenges statement
Discussion threads / Links:
- Technical discussion: B1K main thread
- Build Guide: B1K Build Guide
- Pre-order Q&A in the B1K pre-order Q&A thread
- Prototype feedback: B1K pioneer batch feedback
- Pre-order status: B1K pre-order status page
At the Burning Amp Festival in 2017 Nelson presented a pre-amp using the Korg Nutube dual triode. The latest revision of the circuit available is now available complete with Fairchild JFETs and all directly supplied by Nelson Pass.
Please check the following links for more information:
There are 4 elements to building a complete preamplifier. Purchase the elements separately, or all together as a "full kit" bundle for $299. To build a complete preamplifier you will need:
What's in the completion kit?
Everything else you need to complete the project other than 1, 2 and 3 above. It's an assortment of bits and pieces that joins the Nutube, PCB and Chassis together, turning the whole things into a "full kit", hence the name "completion kit".
The included "wall wart" style power adapter supports an input voltage of 90-264V and has a US style plug. If you don't live in the US you will need to obtain a suitable plug adapter.
What are the chassis specifications?
- Galaxy 230x170 full aluminum chassis, anodized black with white printing
- Internal dimensions 40x210x170mm
- LED hole ø2mm
- Left switch
- Hole ø6.5mm
- 15mm x 15mm square rear recess, 7mm deep
- Right switch
- Hole ø6.5mm
- 15mm x 24mm rectangular rear recess (allows for switch and LED), 7mm deep
- Potentiometer hole ø10mm, with ø32mm round recess in the front ø8mm deep
- Rear RCA holes ø10mm
- Rear power switch hole ø11mm
This kit is easy to build. The only issue I had was needing to ground the volume pot. I used rubber mounts for the board, and sound deadening in the chassis. Microphonics are not an issue. It sounds very good.
The B1 preamp kit is very high quality and was an easy build. I’m very impressed with how transparent this preamp is. It’s a great value and the sound far exceeds what one would expect at this price.
Another well constructed kit from the store like ACA. 6L6 instructions are great again and kit contents are meticulously packaged. Customer service is excellent too, helping out with some additional cat 5 that I overstripped.
I only wish this unit could be patched into an existing preamp set up with an on off bypass switch to activate nutube/harmonics and a "volume knob" to dial in bias or amount of distortion. Overall, am a very happy customer. Highly recommended :-). Thank you 6L6!
I built this as a companion to the ACA. Love the sound of the ACA, but it needed a little boost at the front end, so enter the Korg B1. It's not a completely true pass through of the signal, but, set at the recommended level, the harmonics introduced are pleasant to the ear. For the price, I'd highly recommend this as much for it being fun to build, as it is enjoyable to listen to.
Great Quality Board. easy to get parts from Digikey. everything fit perfectly.
What a wonderful sounding preamp. Build took me about 4 hours as someone with moderate experience with electronics and a soldering iron. This is now sitting in front of Aleph-J and I'm in love with the sound. Microphonics were a problem but not hard to tame following others recommendations. Now just to finish my new DIY speakers......
I couldn't get over how EVERYTHING was in this kit. All quality parts. These guys know what they are doing trust me, cause I surely don't. I've never built anything electronic in my life. I'm the definition of beginner and I finished this amp in 3 days! It sounds amazing. Worth more than the price. I highly recommend this kit.
We Also Recommend