WHAMMY Headphone Amplifier
The WHAMMY Class-A headphone amplifier
Wayne Colburn, the genius at Pass Labs who for the last 25 years has designed essentially all the things that aren't speaker amplifiers, wanted to make a fun, high-performance, fantastic-sounding, Class-A, DIY headphone amp for this community. We call it:
Wayne's Headphone Amp Must Make Yourself
Yes, it's a silly name. But it's cute. And it explains a lot about it. So it stuck.
Given the explosion in the popularity of headphones, as well as the unbelievable amount of choice and variety in the market, it seemed that a simple and great-sounding headphone amp would be a great addition to the DIY community.
Because there are so many choices of headphones, from Planars to IEM's, high impedance or low, this amp will drive any headphone you want to throw at it (Well, not electrostatic headphones directly, no amp like this will, but it will happily drive a step-up transformer like Stax).
Wayne wanted a universal headphone amp for his desk. This is the fruit of that idea. It’s made to be made in an afternoon or an evening and it has no builder adjustments, so it’s going to have a high likelihood of success and completion for beginners and experienced DIYers.
It's an all in one PCB, just wire the AC & fuse, input and output jacks. Add a selector switch if you like.
Class-A output stage with enough current to drive anything. It also makes a wonderful line stage with about 14db of gain.
Your choice - PCB or PCB plus parts kit
We are now selling both the a WHAMMY PCB by itself, as well as a parts kit that includes the PCB, and everything else you need to build the WHAMMY other than a chassis.
- We are working on a chassis for the future and will definitely release one, but we aren't going to rush it
- 6L6 has done a great WHAMMY build guide and the supplied parts will match the build guide, more or less
- We have now seen multiple successful builds of this new kit, and are now opening pre-orders for the kit, shipping January 11th 2019
- 218mm x 60mm (8 5/8" x 6 5/16")
- Black with gold immersion traces
- 70oz Copper
The kit includes everything to make the amp except the PCB and chassis. All components are of the highest quality.
- Dale RN55 milspec resistors
- Panasonic FC & FR series capacitors
- Elna SILMIC II capacitors
- Solid aluminum anodized volume knob
- Alps "Blue Velvet" potentiometer
- Neutrik RCA connectors
- Schurter filtered power entry module with spare fuse
- TRS Headphone Jack
- IRF610/9610 Power MOSFETs
- Texas Instruments RC4580 op amp
- Teflon insulated silver plated copper milspec wire for I/O connections
- Silver bearing eutectic Kester 44 solder for I/O connections
- All nuts, bolts and standoffs to attach external connectors and the PCB to a chassis
Illustrated build guide
Most of the info you need to complete this project can be found in the first 6 posts this thread, a well-illustrated guide showing how everything goes together.
- Step by step WHAMMY build guide on guides.diyaudio.com
- WHAMMY build guide and general discussion thread
Here's a video of Wayne talking about the Whammy at Burning Amplifier Festival 2017 -- Wayne Colburn at BAF '17
My son and me build each an Whammy. Easy building, excellent sound. No trouble building them. After recieving the parts we spend xmas time together stuffing the beautyfull pcb. A instant-sound-project :)
Fun build and sounds great. I was about to sell my HD800’s but with this amp they’re enjoyable to listen too. The HD’s are so critical but the WAMMY seams to mellow them out and round of the top end maybe.
What a great little board. Easy and fun to build, parts readily available, and sounds phenomenal!
WHAMMY Headphone Amplifier
We Also Recommend